“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Going Live: The Voice Judges' 'Crazy'



Christina Aguilera. Cee-Lo Green. Adam Levine. Blake Shelton. The Voice judges’ just gave one historic 21st century performance on American television. The musicality and chemistry these four poses together are fucking amazing even if they all come from different music markets. This is what Goosebumps are made for. I personally think that Gnarles Barkley’s (aka Cee-Lo Green) Crazy is one of the greatest records ever made. It has this genre of it’s own where it’s a fusion of old-school R&B soul layered with soft electronic orchestral sounds. As for this performance, it has been rearranged to have a more epic rock feel to it, which is a great idea for American television because it reaches the masses better. What’s also sick about this performance is that it proves the musical genius in each of the singer and the reason why they have been chosen to be judges. We haven’t really seen this on American Idol, but with Steven Tyler on this year’s panel I’m pretty sure we’ll have a great treat coming up. 

I’m ecstatic to see Aguilera in top form with this performance and regain her diva status. I mean diva in singing and not in attitude because her diva attitude has never been lost, which for the past year she has been a real bitch queen. I actually hated her for a while, but now I’m starting to rekindle my love for her. Adam Levine on drums also thrilled me because it showed another musician side to him, which erased his Maroon 5 front man only image. Blake Shelton I don’t give a fuck because I don’t listen to a lot of male country music, but I guess he’s doing his thing. Finally, Cee-Lo is the icing on the cake. I really honor his humbleness with this song because he’s the owner to it, but he’s letting the others shine and he’s taking a back seat. He’s a really genuine artist and he’s not really trying to be a celebrity with this show not like Aguilera (it’s not a bad element though). What I also liked about the producers of this show is that they broke the musical racial boundaries when choosing these judges. I still love Idol the most, but here it’s exciting to see the judges not looking too corporate America where everyone looks plastic perfect. There’s a grunge side to it and a cool hip factor that you don’t feel everything is manufactured with this judges. And who can believe that a country star like Shelton would be sitting in the panel with an R&B star like Cee-Lo? I mean, country music has always been dominating in the US in a league of it’s own where other mainstream music genre hasn’t really bonded with them. It’s like saying to Beyonce to sing a long and hoedown with Dolly Parton in cowboy boots.

May I advice for these four music stars to at least collaborate and release a single. Millions will be deposit in your already enormous “can save a whole country in Africa from poverty” bank accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment