“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: Jamie Woon's 'Lady Luck'




Jamie Woon. Better watch out for this musical force. Trust me. Fucking trust me. The first time I listen to this song I was mesmerized in a musical chemistry session where the mixture of soul, house, R&B, ambient pop and Michael Jackson inspired sounds just positively reacted together and create a new formula to a timeless classic record. You don’t really come across a raw talent these days since the music industry projects a more manufactured image, but with Woon, he’s on a fresh league of his own. I’ve been saying this countless time on my latest post entries that I truly believe 90’s music is making a comeback. With Woon I see it in his distinct god-like voice which reminiscent many simple divine voices in the 90’s such as Lighthouse Family, Jamiroquai and even Coldplay. Oh and yes, they are all British. British music are seen on the back-burner most of the time for being really awkward and really hard to get into since there’s an arrogant sophistication attached to it, but musically speaking, they create classy music. The musicality which goes into every beat and chord progression is crafted so finely and so differently. So I’m not surprised why British people are seen to have an eclectic taste in music.

The video itself is also a masterpiece for me in a subtle manner. I’ve clearly established my metropolitan aesthetic through this blog and this video elevates it with great motion effects, light flares and traveling montages. With the editing it looks complicated, but truthfully it’s simple cinematography. The director however twisted and milked the footage to create a greater synthesis urban imagery, which is awfully inspiring. Woon’s minimal presentation of himself I feel is a positive yet negative marketing tactic. I understand that he might want to be more understated and let the music shine through (it’s certainly did), but in today’s musical arena-every artist is glamorized to the highest saturated beauty level with costumes, stage theatrics and much more, which I don’t know if Woon will be lost in the shadow of it all. However, however, however, there’s a British singing sensation called Adele (if you don’t have her new 21 album than you’re a musical tasteless fool) and she also has a low-key demeanor, but her new album (go and get it) has sold over 4 million copies in less than four months and she is plain Jane. So there’s hope for Woon.

I think Woon’s artistry overall shines through greatly with this video. There’s something enchantingly mysterious about him that I think a bit more exposure for him would start a new hype. Just push it a bit more Woon. Artist like Woon can remain a single color, but it’s the shades of that color that you need to play to create the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment