“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Monday, April 11, 2011

Dad's Power: Eurythmics




Eurythmics. I don’t know how many fucking times my dad has put their Greatest Hits albums on heavy rotation in the car. I once suffered from Annie Lennox voice disorder, but unlike anorexia, I wanted to consume the great Lennox. Consume by my ear I mean. Eurythmics is a duo that musically goes against the grain. Their sound is so specifically that it can’t be stereotyped. Yes, production wise it’s very 80’s, but the instrumental sound itself is psychedelically mainstream orientated. It’s mixed with electronic synthesis on heavy guitar chords with Lennox wide vocal range and background sounds of whistle folk meet gospel accents. Their lyrics also has this great balance of love and sadness, but it’s not sloppy and sugary. It’s just amazing. Fucking amazing. Rad. I love when any musical act can be so diverse in their sound because it’s them who moves generation and receives iconic status.

Along with Madonna and Cyndi Lauper, Annie created this fierce bitch image presentation that artists like Nicki Minaj, P!nk and Gaga have to thank them for. Yet, with Lennox she differentiated from the pack in the sense that she had this slightly scary quality to her which somehow drawn you in. It’s all about revolutionizing your image, but still put music in the forefront and your outfit as the complementary good. Plus, Lennox showed the importance of giving back to the society. Her work with AIDS is truly inspiring. Music can change lives because it’s a universal language that has no boundaries. A melody with no words can still make a person in Uganda appreciate it as much as someone in Austria.

For me, with Eurythmics, my dad gave me the maturity and the need in wanting to go back and listen to 80’s music and find its core essence. I must admit that I’ve always been stubborn in trying to only listen to music produced during the time I have lived on earth and not before, but with Eurythmics it changed three-sixty. Eurythmics also proved my dad’s eclectic taste in music. My dad opens countless music in the car or at home and may I say that the range is musically jaw-dropping. I’m talking from house music of Buddha Bar to rock music of 30 Seconds To Mars, ZZ Top and even classic music from Andre Bocelli. Also have to mention Sugababes with Enya, Pink Floyd and Bob Marley and The Wailers. This son can’t compare with him. I bow down.

People ask, “What is real music?” I still believe there’s no answer to it, but this duo gives is a valid hint.

No comments:

Post a Comment