“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rewinding: P.Diddy Feat. Faith Evans' 'I'll Be Missing You'





P.Diddy. Puff Daddy. Sean Combs. Diddy. Anymore? Ok. Let’s start. Going through my all-time favorites, I wanted to fuse in some classic hip-hop records. For me, my kinds of hip-hop records are the rappers rapping their lyrics and the woman singing the simple beautiful chorus. It’s just soothing. I can’t stand listening to hardcore rap songs. I need some singing in it and this song is the definitive answer. I just fucking love this song. Fucking, fucking love it. Till this day, I’ve never heard a better cover/ sampled song on this planet. For Diddy to have the genius to take an iconic Police song (Every breath you take) and mash it up to create a legendary hip-hop record is just inspiring. For me, I think Diddy was the first few hip-hop artists who embrace mainstream pop music. He wasn’t shy to use it as a key ingredient to his music, which is why I’ve appreciated his work for so many years. He did it for Jay-Z and Eminem. The song structure is certainly a prototype to the songs we hear today by hip-hop artist. Listen to Love The Way You Lie.  He should definitely be honored for starting this rap-pop movement years ago when people were still dividing the two and arguing some superior shit.

Even though this song was crafted in remembrance of Notorious Big death (that’s why his widow Faith Evans is singing the chorus), but it’s a song which can reach the masses with such sentimental conviction and let us dedicate it to anyone we have lost in our life. With Japan’s situation or for me Thailand’s flooding devastation, this song means a lot. I don’t want to continue in explaining my feelings because I think the music speaks for itself. Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment