“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: Kay's 'My Name is Kay'


MY NAME IS KAY from Kaymusik on Vimeo.

Kay. My name is Kay. Got it? It’s Kay. Kay with a K. Lets start. This singer has been busting her ass for the past two years trying to break into the music scene, but it’s about the right time for her to make her mark now when early 90’s music are making a big comeback and this record defines that era. 90’s for me was all about empowerment lyrics mixed with hybrid of sounds from all genres. Like this song, it has a modern funk beat mixed with Beastie Boys inspired New York Hip-Hop along with rap meets pop singing with some gospel sounds playing the supporting role. Kay also has this "I’m Barbie, but I can be a bitch" attitude like what many of her contemporary competitions in this industry plays with. Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry and even Gaga all has it. However, with this video, Kay shows to have more street credibility in her opting for Adidas tracksuits, plain silver jewelry, converse shoes and those iconic boombox as her accessory. Love it! But actually, Kay reminds me a lot of Fergie. I definitely see Fergie in Kay’s pop-rap breakdown. Listen to Fergie Ferg’s Fergalicious and you’ll get the picture. Tony Basil’s One Hit Wonder Hey Mickey also seems to be a huge influence on this song with the 80’s cheerleading chanting accents to the musical production of the song.

As for the video, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually not thoroughly. I fucking loved it. Firstly, I’m a sucker for Black and White videos. Secondly, I’m a sucker for 90’s street vibe videos. Thirdly, I’m a sucker for a New York city-feel video, even though this was shot in Chicago. So overall, I’m a sucker for this video. It’s a fantastic debut video for her and really showed how she differentiates from other musical acts dominating the charts right now. She’s much more clean-cut then how Ke$ha or Gaga represented themselves in their debut video, but with Kay there’s a bit more tough love meets bratty attitude about her, which I’m sure people will love her for it. I also enjoyed her extra vulnerable side to her which is shown below.



I have high hopes for this lady. I think she can really make it big if she pushes for it. I think people are ready to embrace 90’s feel good music once again and Kay has the soul for it. Just don’t be eaten up by coporate major music label tactics of changing her to become more of a blonde bimbo because when that happens then it’s only one word left for her- Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment