“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dad's Power: U2





U2. My dad is my most important musical force. He was the one who raised me on all sorts of music. From The Rolling Stones and ZZ Top to Enya and Scissor Sisters – that’s one hell of a musical differential gap. His CD collections (along with his Armani tie gallery) is just…. Fuck, I know why I’m damn materialistic (I’m broke at the moment btw). So going back to the music- why did I choose U2 as the first entry for this section? Simple. When this band’s song comes on the radio, I’m like “Roland Gustaf Svensson!” Yes, he’s my Swedish-expelled from school-once druggie-a woman’s player- so different from me (except for the workaholic part- proud Papa. U2 plays such important to our relationship like no other band because their music provides the right ingredient where we agree on what is fucking good music. I can’t stand his AC/DC records and he can’t stand my desperate love for Gaga who he calls a psychotic bitch.

I love all U2 records and can listen to them all on repeat, but why I chose Beautiful Day is because it has such a fearless feel-good vibe. It’s that sort of song that you can open on anytime of the day and regain that inner strength to live life with positivity. It’s a recurring message in all Bono’s musical creation, but with this song it’s more vibrant, groovy and celebrates mankind love for one another in such a fulfilling context.

On a more personal note again, this video also pays lots of sentimental importance to my life because it’s set in an airport and my relationship with my dad constantly revolves around him travel around the world like a rockstar collecting frequent flyer miles. It’s something we’re so use to it and I bet would continue forever. I promise my dad when I make good money, I’ll fly him to watch U2 and we can be like two druken buddies enjoying music like how it all started at three years old for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment