“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rewinding: TLC's 'Damaged'





TLC. They have to be one of my favorite girl groups in the 90’s. They were one of the main forces during my musical childhood; growing up on their fantastic videos on MTV and performances on the VMA. Till this day I still think what would have happened to them if Lisa Left-Eye hadn’t pass. Chilli might have pulled a ‘Beyonce-ditch Destiny Child and turn solo’ move, but that didn’t seemed to work out since Chilli and T-Boz were never able to have a career as a duo (Chilli sadly turned to the VH1 reality show route to get the cash), but this song of theirs with just the two of them during their last years as a legendary group I just love. I also adored Waterfalls, Creep, No Scrubs, Unpretty and all their more commercial success songs, but there’s just something so special about this song. The Indian inspired opening, the sentimental lyrics that matched their group’s sad ending to the pop-rock chorus- it all reminds us that they changed music history because they didn’t have the typical R&B sound even if they were colored and usually put into that category. Plus, till this day, all of their records never sound dated and each and one of them has a story to relate to, which becomes part of our life’s musical compilation soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment