“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going Live: Adam Lambert's 'Aftermath' at American Idol 2011




Adam Lambert. He’s my favorite Idol alum period. Everything he does musically just fascinates the hell out of me. I remember watching Idol season 8 and witnessing the emergence of a new iconic force. Yes, the world was ready for a ‘fuck you all certain corporate conservative Americans- I want to be who I want to be!’ At least I know I was. I was ready for the campiness, the glam factor and just down right fucking sick vocal production music done in an electronic-pop mentality with hints of Studio 54 Bowie and touches of 80’s Hair Metal. But what was special about this performance on Idol Season 10 Top 13 results show is that it didn’t embody everything I described previously. It just showcased his sincere side and those pipes, which I personally feel is the best in Idol history. Lambert has such emotional conviction when he sings that as a viewer you drift away on a journey for a moment with him and just feel his struggles or his ecstatic state-of-mind. What I also adore about Lambert is that we all know he’s gay, but he doesn’t play the ‘It’s hard to socially live as a gay man’ card, but instead he just lives on life without constant fear and just proves that it doesn’t really matter who you sleep with in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment