“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: Oh Land's 'Sun Of A Gun'





Oh Land. I’ve know this artist for roughly five months now and what strikes me frankly about her was this video rather than the also amazing song. This Danish (proud Scandinavian moment again. Sorry. Can't help it.) singer reminds me of blonde bombshell Lykke Li meets minor influences from Bjork. She has this folk and airy electronic sound to her mixed with cutesy light drumbeats, which is just perfect. What’s also refreshing to see like Ellie Goulding is that Oh Land isn’t desperate in creating a character persona for her music. She stays true to herself and rather wants her music to speak be the main force.

I adore this video. Really adore it. I’m a sucker for fluorescent light and mirrors, which certainly are the main element here. What’s also unique is that they mix these light balls with a snowy atmospheric backdrop instead of a city. It creates a new vibe for me. Her dancing and prancing around is also cute. It’s just simple contemporary abstract ghostly sway dancing and poses. As for the fashion, I’m happy she didn’t go for the cliché boho-folk lookbook.  She instead opted for some flowly dresses and graphic fashion pieces which complemented her beauty and great physique. For the art direction part I felt was a contrast between hot and cool tones. She looks ethereal in some shots with the hot red lighting, while looking fiercely when in cool blue lighting. It’s just great. Simple juxtaposition. Easy, but yet effective.

Oh Land just has to continue promoting her record and slowly climb the ladder up. Hopefully she’ll not only be this new exciting wave for the next few months, but also have a longevity career in the industry. Markets like New York City will certainly embrace her for a long time, but Middle America may be more reluctant. However, I feel her sound is commercial enough to get her quite far and hopefully she’ll not become a one-album-wonder like KT Tunstall who also reminiscent of Oh Land music quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment