“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Going Live: Beyonce's 'If I Were A Boy' 2010 Grammys



Beyoncé Knowles. In honor of the upcoming 53rd Grammy Awards in 11 days (I’m dying to watch Gaga’s Born This Way premiere performance), I’m counting down my favorite performances throughout the years for my Going Live section. Starting off is the incredible, indescribable and the electrifying Beyoncé at the 2010 show singing If I Were A Boy. This diva just fucking works it. From the military, catwalk-esque strutting at the start putting Naomi Campbell into retirement to the flawless singing on the ranks of Mariah and Whitney (not Aretha yet though)- I’m just amazed every time watching this performance. The conviction she puts into it answers why her former DC band mates Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland should only sing at their local cheap beer bars. I mean, tell me exactly who in the history of music has the level of greatness in singing and performing? Ok, maybe Tina Turner to a certain extent, but the intensity Mrs. Carter brings to the stage is too much to handle. And to use the whole Grammy stage with all the glitzy effects, but still making me focused on her the whole time was special. I watched her at the Beyonce Experience concert and had tears running down my face with her Irreplaceble finale set because I said to myself “Finally, I found the artist on the level of Michael Jackson.” Every move she hits I have a rush of adrenaline and every note she hits I just get Goosebumps that a expensive J. Mendel fur coat couldn’t handle it (I’m against fur anyways). What do I expect next from Queen B? To finally sing Telephone with Gaga on stage and make me book myself a room in the ICU since I would be hyperventilating like an asthma god.

No comments:

Post a Comment