“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rewinding: Michael Jackson’s ‘Black and White’




Michael Jackson. For my first Rewinding entry I would like to dedicate it to my all-time musical god and hero Michael Jackson. This man shaped my musical life in a profound way that I can’t really explain it. I remember being three and his ‘Dangerous’ album came out with its ultra-stunning videos on MTV and I was just fixated and never looked back. My imported expensive toys were to be in isolation and from then on it was “Mummy I want this CD! Mummy I want to watch this concert!” I mean, I was sitting with 50,000+ people watching his HIStory tour in Bangkok at six years old and still remember the moment I run up in front of the stage during his finale set of ‘Heal The World’ and just cried. Without Michael I would be a shit-wrecked only child who’s parents are divorce, feared by constant bullying for being obese (I’ve slimed down 40 kgs now) and not knowing what to do in life. Sounding melodramatic, Michael Jackson paved my way in life. At four or five when adults ask you “What do you want to be when you grow up?”- I always responded “I want to be in the entertainment industry” and that has never change. I know my priorities in life just like what Michael Jackson knew his at nine going to the Ed Sullivan show with the Jackson 5 for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment