“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just Arrived: Rihanna's S&M Video




Rihanna. My favorite fire red-haired Barbados superstar bitch (there’s only one. Oh forgot about Shontelle and her ‘impossible’ one-hit-wonder. Well, it was possible). Anyways, getting back to Riri who is so kinky with her new video for S&M. I must admit I still hate the tune. Don’t know why. Maybe because the Stargate produced track is so whoring for “I’m getting controversial, I need the fucking spotlight” attention with the lyrics “Chains and whips excited me”, but please, in S&M we know that whips are used. So don’t teach us a sex class. Anyways, again, I’m not making a good first impression am I? This video is Riri’s best effort to date and credit goes to one of my favorite music video director of the moment Melina Matsoukas. Melina continues to pay tribute to the works of Warhol and Lachapelle with this over-the-top saturated pop-art color effects with androgynous imagery, which I’m certainly inspired. And it’s nice to see a woman being able to have this level of understanding in making good solid pop music video. Plus, there’s a growth in Melina work from her days directing videos such as Gaga’s ‘Just Dance’ or Solange’s (Beyonce’s slightly less famous sister. Maybe not slightly. Majorly…umm, but I love her) ‘I Decided’ video, which now I can see Melina adding more tricks to her sleeve and experimenting more with the colorful art-direction, but still keeping her aesthetic. Also, I adored how this video paid homage to Madonna’s “Hollywood” video (the one that failed), but in a more positive la-la-la way.


Perez Hilton being featured as a slave-esque dog was effing genius. Riri’s is somehow for me working on behalf of the entertainment industry to show what they think of Perez. But sorry, I’m a Perez fan and he sort of discovered Lady Gaga and Lady Gaga to me is…I’m getting teary eyes and I can write 10,000 words one her. So stop it.


However, I feel Riri is crying for attention with this video in a certain degree. Yes, I know Gaga also does it. But I know the song is called S&M and the lyrics is already literal…but is it necessary to show her giving a semi-blow job moment with a banana or man-fucking a blow-up doll? Ok, maybe men appreciates it and have something new to think about while….going to heaven safely. Still, Riri please be classy.


All and all, Riri has now elevated her music video portfolio. It’s still not Gaga, Britney, Beyonce or Madonna’s level, but she’s getting there. The only suggestion I have for her now is to be less literal and make people question “What the fuck is going on in the video” because those video are the iconic ones for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment