“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rewinding: Miike Snow's 'Animal'


Miike Snow - "Animal" from Downtown Music on Vimeo.

Miike Snow. I can’t get enough of this song Animal. Thanks to Rollingstone magazine for raving them as one of the best band in 2009, I just got addicted to this song and their self-titled album. It really puts you in this electronica-mellow world. Yes, they are Swedish and yes I’m playing the bias game again. But my Swedes surely have the credibility to back it up.  The band is made-up of producing team Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg, also known as Bloodshy & Avant, and lead singer Andrew Wyatt. And excuse me, if you know your pop music 101 Bible….Bloodshy & Avant are the one responsible for Britney’s Toxic, Piece of Me and Radar. They are the one who elevated pop music to be more hard-hitting and have an industrial sound to it. But what’s fucking amazing with this song is that it shows how they are really eclectic in their music choices and how they can continuously create new signature sounds. With Animal, it has this sort of underground earthy electronic Brooklyn sound to it while still giving the Stockholm vibe to it. Even though this song is still too fresh to be inducted into my rewinding section, but because of its timeless quality to it…it’s meant to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment