“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Friday, February 4, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: Neon Hitch's 'Get Over U'



Neon Hitch. I’ve been introduced to this artist for roughly a week and I’m starting to fall for her. She doesn’t offer you the forever classic pop-electronic records, but her sound judging from Get Over U is quite soothing and that’s a plus. A lot of these pop-electronic records on the radio right now are trying to be in the ‘I want to fucking rule the dance floor’ category, which is great, but when a song like this comes along it’s a nice groovy change and keeps you saner without needing to be in club ecstasy mode twenty four seven. As for her presented image in this video, I’m still a bit confused. I don’t know a great deal about her artistry so I’m not sure if she’s selling a made up character or whether she’s being herself. I’m only going to describe it as ‘Ke$ha gone royal folk meets a subtle nod to Adam Lambert’s psychedelic fetish for New Orleans tribal heritage with inspirations from Sia and Madonna’. Whether this song would be a big hit for her, I’m not so sure. She’s competing in a sound lane that it’s tough with so many acts, but it all depends on the future songs she put’s out. We’ve seen this kind of girl on and on again and failed to have a longevity career. My only suggestion is that her next record has to be more hard-hitting, faster and have a lamer mainstream quality. Even though I love love it, this song fits as a second or third single, but for a debut single it’s a bit hard to reach Top 40 listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment