“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: Japayork's 'Teenagers'


Japayork. I’ve known this tune for months now and have been obsessed with it since the first time I clicked play. It’s just a solid feel-good pop tune that brings you into the land of positivity. The song production for an artist not from a major label is inspiring. I’m sure if this song was submitted to Simon Cowell’s  Syco Music offices it would be released by one of his artist in no time. Not only in the UK, but I truly feel it could be a worldwide smash. As for the video, it’s using the lame ‘let’s get fucking hammered on Friday night at an frat house party-esque vibe’. Gaga did this with Just Dance and Ke$ha with Tik Tok. Still, what makes this video stands out is its fashion-blog style cinematography and art direction. Go to nearly every major fashion blog today and you’ll see this pale washed-out vintage color picture effects. By why hasn’t this song become a hit? Apart from not being pushed by a major label….it’s simple. It has everything a good pop song should have, but there’s a million more of this type of song. But I still got major hopes for this tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment