“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Under the Radar Obsessions: James Blake's 'The Wilhelm Scream'




James Blake. He’s certainly one of the ones to watch in 2011. Even though I feel he’ll probably not break into America any time soon or even the rest of the world, but in the UK with their inspiring eclectic taste in music, I’m sure he’ll be everywhere and start this new wave early 90’s jazzy Tears For Fears vocal styling’s fused with hauntingly bombastic electronica sounds. He already won the runner-up price for BBC’s Sound of 2011 Poll for a start losing to only Jessie J (also my obsession) and his first single ‘Limit to Your Love’ already was a minor hit in Europe. I’m curious to see what his artistry has to offer next since this second single still doesn’t give too much away of his slightly underrated persona, but I’m sure in concert he’ll have some subtle theatrics. I’m also impressed on how he’s taking a page from Adele rise to music stardom in the sense that he’s not trying to be scandalous and instead he’s slowly using his universal praises from critics as a way to make a name for himself. As for the video, even though it looks like it was shot with a budget of a single can of Pepsi, but it works for me. It fits with vibe, has this minimalistic feel to it and has these modernistic washed out bright color effects which goes well with my blog’s color scheme 101 at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment