“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Monday, February 21, 2011

Just Arrived: Kanye West's 'All Of The Lights'




Kanye West. All Of The Lights was one of my favorite records of 2010. The beat is beyond sick. The featuring artists are beyond sick.  And when Hype Williams was attached to direct the video I was like “Kanye is fucking back ruling Top 40 radio and MTV”. But when the video was released I was disappointed. What the fuck was it? Some campy disco 80’s Star Wars text affects meets Riri looking extremely hot, but white as Betty White.  The small section of the song on the epic Runaway video was even more impressive. I wanted explosion, lighting extravaganza or some artistic take which Mr. West has been so legendary these past years. I always hail Kanye as the rapper who has broke the typical “let’s go to the club, throw some money, show off the six-pack and fuck the girls in the hucci mama bikini’s” hip-hop stereotype. He has been able to merge hip-hop culture with fine commercial arts like no other artist in history. But this I felt was a letdown. I understand that the song is so so good that a so so good video might not be necessary, but I think with this song , West could exploit the moment and really really made it into a classic. Yet, I still strongly believe this song and album will be a force to reckon with on the 2012 Grammy’s, but watch out for the ladies- Adele and Lady Gaga. Those two might prompt West to jump up on stage again, but this time the two ladies are real true artist (Swift was also…to a certain extend for me) and West could actually end his career for real this time after so many embraced and apology accepted comebacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment