“Pop music is commercial art the way Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s soup cans were commercial art. I don’t know why everyone is so against pop music. I love a good chorus – sue me. It’s that fucking simple.” - Lady Gaga

Monday, February 7, 2011

Going Live: Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together / Fly Like A Bird" 2006 Grammys



Mariah Carey. I’m continuing my Grammy Awards countdown with the divas. I’m actually quite a sucker for divas singing the big notes, the big hand gestures and the ever-so big standing ovations. My Whitney. My Mariah. My Celine. My 90’s. Anyways, this was a big career moment for Mrs. Cannon. She was on fire creating one of the biggest comeback in music history with her The Emancipation of Mimi album (amazing album) and this performance solidify her standing of being one of the best in the business. We all thought Mariah had peaked already and that she couldn’t recover from the ‘Glitter-I’m cursed with the singer can’t fucking act-gate’ (she truly erased the curse with her acting chops in Precious). Yet, this performance hit the haters hard. I remembered watching this over and over again. It was magical. Every note was on point, the energy was there and of course the ‘Hallelujah Thank you Jesus’ moments were all present. The only hope I have now is that if there’s miracles or ‘Hallelujah Thank you Jesus’ moments again then Whitney could be in this position. But for now she would have to lip-synch.

No comments:

Post a Comment